Wednesday, July 7, 2010

From Illinois to DesMoines Iowa

It has been such a long day. We traveled an additional 500 miles for a total of 1084 mles in 2 days. I really had a hard time dealing with the drive and I am hoping tomorrow night we will be in Rapid City Sd and then we can begin to sight see. I wanted to stop in Chicago but dad did not feel like it so we moved straight through the state. I am a little disappointed about that because I really wanted to see Chicago and I don't know when I will get back there again. Anyway, it still was a great day, although we hit a bad storm in Iowa. I couldn't even see out of the window. we almost had to pull over but nobody was moving on the highway as it was. We also got to see some things as we drove by. We got a look around Ronald Reagan's birthplace in Dixon, Illinois. We stopped in West Branch, Iowa for Herbert Hoover's birthplace and lastly, the famous John Wayne, we got to look at his birthplace of Winterset Iowa.
We also crossed the Mississippi River which in the rain was still so beautiful. That was the first time I saw the Mississppi and it was pretty exciting. We are now staying in Stuart Iowa and it looks like it is going to pour again. We also had to turn our clocks back an hour on Central time now. Weird, but I get an extra hour of sleep YEAHHHHH!!!!
Check out the video. I really haven't taken any pictures of anything yet but you have to see the video of our view from our window in Iowa. I really like this place. It has been such a peaceful drive except for the one part around Chicago where it was really congested sue to paying a toll.


We also stopped at a viewpoint where you could see Omaha Nebraska on the left side and the Missouri floodplain straight ahead. It was gorgeous. The 85 year old guide told us about his wife writing a book about barns from a barn's point of view and it is called A Autobarnography. I loved it and I will definitely look for it. He was a very interesting man.

No comments:

Post a Comment